Connecting, Supporting, Making a Difference! The Portland Area Global AIDS Coalition (PAGAC) is a grassroots network connecting the over two hundred local organizations which address issues of HIV/AIDS, global health and global poverty, both here in Portland and around the world. We are entirely volunteer run. Our strength lies in our diversity. About half of the member organizations are involved in direct service projects. They include faith based organizations, school clubs, chapters of national advocacy organizations and more. They vary in size from large organizations such as Mercy Corps to one person crusades. The work of the member organizations varies from providing direct health care services to working in the arts, engaging in advocacy, educating women and children, working with micro-finance projects and more. Each organization strives to make an impact in the areas in which they work. The PAGAC connects and supports member organizations by engaging in the following activities on behalf of our members:
- Maintaining our website, www.pagac.org.
- Maintaining a directory and a searchable database of local organizations to connect individuals with organizations that need support and to connect organizations with one another so they can share best practices.
- Publishing the eNews, bi-monthly e-mail newsletter with a information on community events, global health, global poverty, and HIV/AIDS news.
- Planning social networking events for organizations and community members in partnership with Global Sister Goods and the Peace Corps.
- Planning and producing annual events for World AIDS Day (December 1st) and World AIDS Orphans day (May 7th).
By offering these opportunities to the community, we help get the word out about the amazing work of local organizations. Our efforts result in the following:
- Attracting donors to local organizations; individuals can make donations to member organizations directly from our website.
- Recruiting volunteers for member organizations.
- Publicizing member organization and PAGAC events to the community.
- Facilitating and encouraging the sharing of resources and best practices among member organizations.
- Skill development for everyone from organizers to new volunteers.
Join Us! Together We Can Impact Millions! Our Mission statement: The Portland Area Global AIDS Coalition is an alliance of local organizations and individuals united on behalf of the millions impacted by the global AIDS pandemic. PAGAC seeks to strengthen the work of its members through the sharing of ideas and resources, to engage the local community in the fight against HIV/AIDS, and to advocate for policies that respond to the needs of those affected both locally and nationally.